Monday, February 14, 2022

Online academic research 1.5.5

I knew it was very important to evaluate and fact check everything found online, especially if I am doing a research paper. But then I watched the video from LabSim on 'online academic research' which breaks down the different sources and how to use them. I find this very informative.

I learned that academic sources are usually written and published by people who are experts in that field. These publications are then reviewed and validated by experts of their peers in the same field. Consumer level sources tend to be less reliable because they are not written, or peer reviewed by other scholars.

I also learned that academic sources can be divided into categories primary and secondary sources. primary sources include things like original speeches, laws, and poems. Secondary sources are articles or books that reviewed, described, and analyzed primary sources. Then there are tertiary sources which are more like bibliography abstracts and references from the primary sources.

LabSim even introduced Google Scholar. I have never heard of Google Scholar until now. In Google Scholar you can modify your search by date range, or a specific phrase. You can also refine your search by selecting the advanced search options. I learned it is less hassle to use an online database like Google Scholar because you can be confident the content is reliable and accurate verses if you find the information through regular search engine. Thanks to IS101 this information will be very helpful for future research.

13 comments:

  1. Very glad Chapter 1.5.5 introduced you to Google Scholar :-)

    Wonderful summary of what you learned and sharing it with the world!

    Well done and thank you Tracyann ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also liked Google Scholar, I got stuck researching random things for a few hours lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never heard of Google Scholar either I'm learning a lot from this class

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked Google Scholar. I have used different resources that are similar to Google Scholar during school. Sometimes the limitation on those sources is because it is seclusive to academic resources, it can be hard to research different academic topics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like google scholar when it comes to getting information for essays and papers. It is a great amount of information smashed into one logical paper. It's great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also have never used google scholar before in the past I would use online database such as The CSN Database for research. I think it is a very useful tool that will help me with research in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was kind of embarrassed to admit that, even though I used to do some academic work, and had to write papers with citations, references, etc., I actually did not know what the definition of a tertiary source was until completing that section. I'm not sure if maybe that term is a bit outdated, or perhaps I was just ignorant, but it really did surprise me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like Google Scholar as well. It's a shame I never knew about it until recently.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Learning about academic research and the different levels of academic sources in this class prepared me for needing to understand the differences between a primary, secondary, and tertiary resources to use in research for a biology class.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed using Google Scholar, it wasn't as confusing to use as I thought it'd be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Google Scholar! It's gotten me through so many essays in the past. Its also really useful having access to true academic articles instead of the mass media garbage that google normally shows as results.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Google scholar was always helpful in high school! It was the best way to get good sources of info.

    ReplyDelete