Saturday, February 12, 2022

Driving on the wrong side of the road

Jamaica was once ruled by the British, they got their independence on August 6th, 1962. Even though Jamaica got their independence they kept some of the British traditions, like driving on the left side of the road. I never drive in Jamaica; I take the cab or the bus, almost all the locals do. I came to the US in 1999 and noticed only a questionable few take the bus, everyone drives. So, it felt very lonesome walking, and waiting for the bus seems to take hours depending on when you get to the bus stop. 

Even though I never drive in Jamaica, I still had to reconditioned my brain to stay on the right side of the road during the learning possess. It felt unnatural at first driving on the right side of the road. Now when I go to Jamaica, I can't help but press my imaginary brakes when someone else is driving, because it looks like they are about to drive in oncoming traffic.

I was so excited to finally get my driver's license, and have the independence to go where I want, when I want. Then I quickly realized I need a GPS device because I am always getting lost. When I got lost, I forgot the rules of the road. I couldn't understand why it freaked me out so badly. Maybe because the U.S. is such a big place, I fear I might end up in a different State. I am doing better now. Now I drive like a professional. 

I drove in Jamaica once, but my sister tells me how to turn. Most of the time I am following someone.  I will not drive by myself because I would have difficulty turning. Turning is very tricky. Also, their traffic mileage is in meters and gas is measured in liters, very different from when I lived there.

14 comments:

  1. Quite an adjustment when you first arrived in the U.S., glad to hear you drive like a professional now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why I hate driving thank god for gps I never would have been able to drive without it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that if I ever visit Jamacia, I'm having my husband do it, I will literally crash

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew that Jamaica is a former British territory, but I had no idea that folks there drove on the left side of the road. I mean, I know they do that in England, but I guess I just never thought of that extending all the way to the Caribbean.

    Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to drive in a foreign place. To experience driving on the other side of the road would be amazing to do. I know it sounds lame, but always having to drive on the right side of the road gets boring, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bus can be fun though, like a mini adventure every ride. I seen so much on the city busses out here lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember the first time I went back to Jamaica, after spending some time in America, I turned on the indicator...or that's what I thought I did, then I see the wiper blades swishing across the windshield. That is because everything is opposite on the cars in either country. I couldn't stop laughing at myself. Sorry I had to post it twice. I did not realize my mistake until it was already posted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never driven in a foreign country. I think if I was in a foreign country and needed transportation, I would either walk to take the bus, so I can pay attention to the scenery and be present.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have driven in several foreign countries, but never in one like that. Seems like it would take a lot of adjusting for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My family is from the Philippines so they know how hectic driving can be. They always share crazy stories of how it was back over there compared to how it is in the US. I'm grateful I've never had to relearn how to drive haha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear you are a professional now. Driving is always scary, I couldn't imagine doing it on the left side of the road.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't even imagine driving on the opposite side of the road, it would throw me off so much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do not think I could driver in a foreign country that drives on the opposite side of the road. Taxi please.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had a few friends that are from Jamaica, and just like you said, they find it so weird how different the culture is here and the many ways that people drive depending on where you are at. I only hear stories from family, who tell me of how bad it is in Mexico and how they wish that traffic here was like traffic over in the city.

    ReplyDelete